A railway bridge had been proposed in the Fredericton area since the 1860s; construction began in 1887 and it was operational by 1890. The original bridge was heavily damaged by ice and flood waters in the spring freshet of March 1935. CNR replaced it with the current structure, which consists of 9 spans crossing a distance of 581 metres.
Located at 83 Shore Street, William Bliss Carman was born in this house on April 5th, 1861.
Although Bliss Carman died of a stroke in New Canaan, Connecticut on June 8, 1928, his ashes were soon after transported back to Canada and now rest in the Forest Hill Cemetary in Fredericton. This cemetery is the final resting place of many Fredericton poets, including Charles G.D. Roberts, Alden Nowlan, and Francis Sherman.
Located between King Street and George Street in downtown Fredericton is Brunswick Street. Aside from providing access to the King's Place Mall parking garage, Brunswick Street borders on the historic Old Burial Ground, which was founded in 1784. In front of the Burial Ground is a nice seating area, with information and a map of the downtown area.
Fredericton City Hall and the beautiful fountain which stands before it are located at 397 Queen Street. The fountain was donated to the city in 1885 by Mayor George Fenety, and the cherub which sits at its top soon after earned his beloved nickname, "Freddy the Nude Dude."
Located on the Western edge of Odell Park, and accessible through its walking trails, is the city of Fredericton's Botanic Garden. The garden offers year-round free admission, making thebeaty of the flower beds a must-see during any Odell excursion.
Named after the former New Brunswick Premier and Minister of Forestry, the Hugh John Flemming Forestry Center is a multipurpose building centered on the Forestry Industry. The Forestry Center, located at 1350 Regent Street across from the Regent Mall, is home to the Maritime College of Forest Technology, the offices of multiple government agencies associated with the environment, and the K.C. Irving Theatre which can be rented for conventions or other large meetings. The Maritime College of Forest Technology also hosts annual summer camps for children interested in the Forestry Industry or in a future career as a forest ranger.
As you drive off of the Westmorland Street bridge onto the Southside of Fredericton, you will inevitably see the beautiful Lighthouse overlooking the Saint John River. Located on a piece of land known as "the green" for its grassy shoreline, the Lighthouse now serves as an outdoor barbecue restaurant and ice cream parlor. By donating at least two dollars to the Fredericton SPCA, you can climb to the viewing platform at the top of the Lighthouse to enjoy a stunning view of the city and the river.
Morell Park is a grassy area along the Saint John River located on Waterloo Row just outside of downtown Fredericton. In addition to providing access to the waterfront, the park includes a softball diamond and soccer nets during the summer months. For those interested in the history of Fredericton, Morell Park also provides access to the late eighteenth century Loyalist Cemetary via the Salamanca walking trail.
Officially opened in 1954, Odell Park is a year-round public park located in the heart of Fredericton. Previously known as the Rookwood Estate, the land which makes up the park was once owned by loyalist poet and New Brunswick's first Provincial Secretary Jonathan Odell. The park stretches over 432 acres.
Built in 1923, the Provincial War Memorial located at 98 Church Street remembers the names of those who fought and died in World War I, World War II, and the Korean War. The Memorial is a 14-foot tall, white granite column placed on a large white granite base. In front of the Memorial stands a white granite cross.
Although Jo-Anne Elder's poem "La Vie en Rose" was inspired by a coffee shop of the same name which closed soon after her arrival in Fredericton, in the years since the café culture in the city has expanded. Within two blocks of Read’s Newsstand and Café, where we placed Elder’s poem, are Coffee and Friends, Second Cup, Chesspiece Café, Tim Hortons, Cinnamon Café, Paradise Imports and Coffee Roasters, and Unplugged Board Games Café. And that’s just in those two blocks!
Science East is a charity-run science museum located at 668 Brunswick Street in downtown Fredericton. In addition to providing many hands-on exhibits on topics including robotics, biology, the environment, and even forensic sciences, Science East also provides March Break and Summer Camps for children.
Located just off Sunset Drive on the Northside of Fredericton, the Sunset U-Pick provides people in the Fredericton area with the opportunity to harvest their own fresh strawberries, raspberries, and even blueberries. A local business, the U-Pick is owned and operated by Susan and Dave Walker.
At 390 Queen Street, in the heart of downtown Fredericton sat the Owl's Nest Bookstore. Although the Owl's Nest had all the charm of a small shop, in reality its large interior only felt small because its shelves and floorspace were packed with used books. It included everything from philosophy to sports, and was a haven for book lovers. Its quaint owl-themed decor, and its adorable head of security Pepper the cat, further contributed to the Owl's Nest's reputation as one of Fredericton's most beloved businesses. Unfortunately, the Owl's Nest closed its doors for the last time on September 20, 2018.
Built in 1923 as the Fredericton Union Railway Station, this historic building is known today as simply The Station. In addition to being an outlet of the New Brunswick Liquor Corporation, The Station also houses a large meeting space which can be rented for personal or business purposes. The Station is located at 380 York Street, and has a delicious selection of regional craft beers. If you're old enough to partake (19+), PPF managing editor Evan Mersereau recommends Maybee Elevensies Espresso Stout – smooth.
The Westmorland Street Bridge, which connects the busy downtown area of Fredericton to the community of Nashwaaksis on the Northside of the city via Route 105, has a surprisingly interesting history. Upon suggesting the need to replace the Carleton Street Bridge, the New Brunswick Provincial Government faced heated debate and conflict from various citizen's groups which formed to protect what they believed to be an important landmark.
In part because it is located on the Fredericton Exhibition Centre Grounds (so it is not accessible to the general public for the week when the NB Exhibition is open), but also because of its excellent fish and chips, this restaurant has entered into the mythic imagination of Frederictonians.
Located at 15 Saunders Street in Wilmot Park, the Wilmot Splash Pad was built in 2016. If visitors are not sufficiently cooled by spending time in the park's wading pool or by dashing through its numerous sprinklers, the large tilting bucket shown above should do the trick.
Say it like so: "Wuh-luh-stuhq." Wolastoq is the traditional Maliseet name for what is commonly referred to as the Saint John River. The river runs through Fredericton, creating what is locally known as the Northside and the Southside. The city has placed walking trails along the banks, along with bridge access for cars at Westmorland Street, and pedestrian access at Westmorland and the Bill Thorpe bridge.